[c-nsp] 6500 w/sup32 as BGP edge router?

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Wed Feb 2 14:37:48 EST 2005

> > compared to the 7200 router platform i'd say that the sup32 should beat it
> > performance-wise by a large margin. or am i mistaken?
>
> Doesn't even just the Sup2/MSFC2/PFC2 run large diameter circles around
> the 7200 platform when it comes to forwarding packets?

Absolutely. Both for pure forwarding, and features like ACLs, rate
limiting/policing, etc. As long as you don't use the various bug-ridden
features of 6500, it's a great platform and way ahead of 7200.

At my previous employer we weathered several Gigabit-sized attacks with
6500/Sup2/PSFC2/PFC2 as Internet border routers (mostly L3, some L2, no
MPLS). The boxes performed great. (But don't get me started on using the
6500 as MPLS routers.)

At my current employer we use Junipers as border routers :-)

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no