[c-nsp] Mac Address on ATM Subinterfaces | c1712 routing issue

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu Feb 3 05:23:48 EST 2005

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 10:11:23AM +0100, Marco Eulenfeld wrote:
> Looks like the 1712 doesn't really route first (routing via Vlan 1 or
> Vlan 2) and than looks in the ARP table of the "next-hop-vlan" for the
> L2 adress of the next hop.
> Everything works fine when there are 2 different MACs as next hops.

For a test, you might want to try to switch off CEF.

As the CEF data structure is very tightly coupled to ARP, it sometimes
does "interesting" things (like "forward out a packet over the wrong
ethernet if a gratituous ARP for a non-local IP address was seen there" -
as far as I know, this has been fixed long ago, though) if ARP is weird.

OTOH, the effect *you* are observing isn't so easily explained, as
CEF normally copes well with this - "same MAC address on different VLANs"
is not uncommon if you have a machine that is trunking.

Cisco>sh ip arp 0011.095c.8d75
Protocol  Address          Age (min)  Hardware Addr   Type   Interface
Internet  193.149.xx.X            0   0011.095c.8d75  ARPA   Vlan5
Internet  195.30.2xx.X            0   0011.095c.8d75  ARPA   Vlan4
Internet  195.30.yy.X             0   0011.095c.8d75  ARPA   Vlan1

(and I can ping all of those just fine - Cat5RSM, 12.2(x), CEF on)

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de