[c-nsp] 6500 Monitor Port limitations

Tim Stevenson tstevens at cisco.com
Thu Feb 3 12:13:26 EST 2005

Some of the SPAN session limitations are architectural and some are just
software.

First, there is a big diff between a span source & a span destination - the
"64" number you see refers to span destinations, not sources. Also, there
is a big diff between rx direction & tx direction span in terms of the
internal implementation.

There are also diffs between the catOS & IOS in terms of implementation &
behavior. There are also some recent changes to the code that can help you
out here and more on the horizon for IOS (eg, more tx direction sessions).
Eg, in CatOS 8.4 we've added multiple span destination ports per session,
which you can combine with a trunk/allowed vlan config on the span dest
ports to "virtually" span individual VLANs to individual span dest ports
using a single span session. We can do this in recent IOS as well.

But, bottom line, the documentation for your s/w release should outline
very clearly what is possible.

Tim

At 07:26 AM 2/3/2005, Voll, Scott uttered:

Tim Stevenson, tstevens at cisco.com
Routing & Switching CCIE #5561
Technical Marketing Engineer, Catalyst 6500
Cisco Systems, http://www.cisco.com
IP Phone: 408-526-6759