[c-nsp] 1200 L2TPv3 session on 1 router

Rene Avi c-nsp at nextlayer.at
Thu Feb 3 20:09:11 EST 2005

lists at hojmark.org wrote:
>>For 1200 sessions, pretty much any of the 7000 series will do
>>this without a flicker. Not sure on the lower models that could
>>do this [...]
>
> I'm somewhat surprised about that reply...
>
> I would have thought the reply would start something like "well, it
> depends". I would have though it would depend *heavily* on the amount of
> bandwidth in those tunnels.
>
> Doesn't it?

It depends ;)

With short-living dialup vpdn-sessions the virtual-access interface
creation and ppp/radius-negotiation will consume the majority of CPU
power (whereby precloning will help here). With solid broadband
DSL-lines the kpps de/encapsulated and not the bandwidth is what you
calculate on software based 7xxx series.

Cheers, /Rene

--
  / Rene Avi <Rene.Avi(AT)nextlayer.at> | Ph#: +43 650 7363284 Fax#: -2 \
  \ Networking: Cisco, Juniper, RIPE    | Bendlgasse 17/11, A-1120 Wien /