[c-nsp] Cisco Aironet interoperability with others "WDS"???

Brian Feeny signal at shreve.net
Mon Feb 7 00:28:37 EST 2005

Alot of wireless vendors have whats called WDS (Wireless Distribution
System), which is a way of making a relay/repeater across wireless.
Cisco has something called "WDS" but its a different technology which I
am not concerned with here.

I have used WDS (The relay/repeater technology) with
Linksys/Netgear/Apple.  I have not been able to get this to work
talking to Cisco Aironet 350 AP's however (12.2 IOS).  I setup a ssid
as "infrastructure", but not sure if there is anything else special to
do for this.  With a Cisco I think it thinks of WDS endpoints as just
repeaters.......and I don't believe there is anything special to do
there.

With other vendors you typically have to define the MAC address of the
opposite WDS endpoint.  I can't imagine Cisco not supporting something
that is in wide use right now, but I think I have not been able to
locate what I need because of it being documented as something else (in
other words, Cisco doesn't call this WDS).

Anyone know about this?

Brian

Brian Feeny, CCIE #8036, CISSP
Network Engineer