[c-nsp] upgrading flash in 3620

Ryan O'Connell ryan at complicity.co.uk
Tue Feb 8 16:24:39 EST 2005

On 08/02/2005 21:16, Burton Windle wrote:

>I have a 3620 with 16mb of flash (2x8mb), and need to upgrade it to 32mb
>(2x16mb) in order to have room for newer IOS images. I've done plenty of
>plane-jane IOS updates, but since I'm yanking the flash (and thus, stuck
>in rommon?), I'm a little lost. Will I be able to pull an image down from
>a TFTP server on the same subnet, or will I have to use xmodem? I've never
>played in rommon before.

It's been a long while since I've used ROMMON on 3600s, but based on
past experiences it's likely only xmodem will be available as the ROMMON
doesn't tend to support cards beyond what what avaialble at FCS. The
fastest way of getting an image onto the router after upgrading internal
flash is going to be a PCMCIA flash card in the front slot - failing
that, use the CON/AUX port on the front and set it to 56k or 115k.
(Again, I can't remember if AUX works in ROMMON, but it's better to use
that if possible as the console has no flow control in hardware)

--
         Ryan O'Connell - CCIE #8174
<ryan at complicity.co.uk> - http://www.complicity.co.uk

I'm not losing my mind, no I'm not changing my lines,
I'm just learning new things with the passage of time