[c-nsp] VPN failover / load sharing using IOS?

Rodney Dunn rodunn at cisco.com
Wed Feb 9 00:20:02 EST 2005

There are really on two ways to do this:

a) you announce some subset of routes down
   one gre tunnel from the headend and prefer
   them and the other subset over the backup tunnel

that way if one tunnel goes away you will have failover.
The drawback there is the load sharing isn't dynamic.

The only way you can get dynamic loadsharing in
this type of setup is OER.

b) Do OER at the spoke side and let it load balance
   the traffic back towards the headend.

They were going to put a sample of that in the OER
deployment guide but I'm not sure they have gotten
to it yet.

http://www.cisco.com/go/oer

Rodney