[c-nsp] PCMCIA flash help

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Feb 9 09:56:23 EST 2005

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, Burton Windle wrote:

> Is there some trick to getting a PCMCIA flash card working in IOS? I have
> an older 16mb Viking flash card that isn't playing nice. When I insert it
> into a 3600, I get this on my console:
>
> Flash card inserted. Reading filesystem...
> %Error: PCMCIA Slot0 flash bank 0 chip 0 unknown, chip id 0x0    (reversed = 0x0   )
> %Error: PCMCIA Slot0 flash initialization failed

Is this just some random card, or one that was sold as "cisco flash"...and
if so, for what devices?  Not all flash cards work in ciscos.  Even among
cisco linear flash cards, not all cards are supported in all routers.
I've seen several cases where the card was compatible enough that I could
format it and load files on it, but the router would not boot from it.