[c-nsp] Cisco 3550 maximum number of routable interfaces limit?

Matthew Crocker matthew at crocker.com
Wed Feb 9 11:10:12 EST 2005

We use a 3550 to aggregate our T1 traffic.  We have a Seranoa WANPort
(IPeX) which terminates channelized DS-3s into 802.1q VLANs.   We take
the GigE from the Seranoa and run it into a 3550.  The 3550 config has
a 'interface VLAN' for each T1 customer, with ip subnet and static
routes assigned.  The 3550 is a member in our OSPF area 0 announcing
customer routes.   We have about 30 'Interface vlan' configured right
now passing about 16mbps of traffic without any problems.  CEF is
running but I heard after 8 interfaces everything is punted to process
switched.   We are at 1% CPU so I'm not sure about that either.  I plan
on adding another 100 or so interfaces to this box, hopefully it
doesn't melt on me

-matt