[c-nsp] URGENT isssue w/osm-4oc12-pos-si

Mike Carter mike.c at altatechnologies.com
Fri Feb 11 15:08:56 EST 2005

The two interfaces in question (POS2/1 is the new card, POS3/4 is the old,
currently active, card) are configured as follows:

interface POS2/1
 ip address 64.200.81.218 255.255.255.252
 shutdown
 mls qos trust dscp
 crc 32
!

interface POS3/4
 ip address 64.200.81.218 255.255.255.252
 mls qos trust dscp
 crc 32
!

POS3/4 is the interface that currently is working and running.

On Wednesday morning, when I had our hosting facility change the cables
to the ISP (the old card is MT-RJ, the new card is SC) this is what i did:

first i shutdown the old interface

Router#configure terminal
Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.
Router(config)#interface pos3/4
Router(config-if)#shutdown
Router(config-if)#exit

at this point the cable was switched, and i brought up the new interface

Router(config)#interface pos2/1
Router(config-if)#no shutdown
Router(config-if)#exit
Router(config)#exit

at which point, I saw the following:

Router#show interfaces | include POS2/1
POS2/1 is down, line protocol is down

The connection did not work.  I tried different POS locations and
got nothing.  No link lights, no activity.

we are under the impression that this should just
work with the card you gave us.  We do not know if any other
configuration is necessary.  I have been unable to find on the
internet or in any documentation what we would need to do to
make this work.

Can a few of the brilliant minds here assist with a 7603 issue at one of our
customer sites???

TIA---if you need additional info let me know!

They have a 7606 with a WS-X6K-S2-MSFC2.
The original card was a OSM-4OC3-POS-SI. (current/active card)
They are trying to change over to a OSM-4OC12-POS-SI.  (new card)

The config is somehow messed up so they are only able to get one of the 4
ports on the OC3 card to come on line.
That is what prompted the change to the OC12 card.

here is their report...defining the problem

I have also found no information saying that this card will or
will not do OC3.

Our hosting facility tested the cable with me watching,  it is NOT
a cable problem.

Since this is a connection that is in development phase, my oppurtunities
to try things is VERY VERY limited.  We need someone with a solid idea of
what may be wrong, which I have

The connection WILL be live as of Tuesday morning, after which there will
be no testing possible without doing it during maintainance windows which
will be very costly for us.

The actual router set up is simple.  There is nothing at all
strange going on.  It has two active interfaces:
	one POS interface that is to have a /30 between us and the ISP

	one GigE interface that has our routeable internet network on it

The router has a default route TO the isp.

That's it.  There is nothing else going on on this router at this time.

Michael Carter
Major Account Manager
Alta Technologies, Inc
763-475-5327  (direct)
800-546-2582  (Ext. 327)
763-475-5331 (fax)
AIM  mikec at alta
mike.c at altatechnologies.com
www.altatechnologies.com
SUN CISCO RS/6000 HP-UX OVERLAND STORAGE
JNI EMULEX Qlogic