[c-nsp] L2 or L3 Core using 3550-12G

Kevin.X.White at corusgroup.com Kevin.X.White at corusgroup.com
Wed Feb 16 03:40:02 EST 2005

We are in the process of converting an existing FDDI site to a 3 layer
Cisco model using 2 off 3550-12Gs at the core and 2 off 3550FX in each (of
10) switchblocks as distribution switches.
Our traffic levels are low for High priority traffic (<15Mbsec on FDDI)
except for low priority backup periods with around 150 users on each
geographicaly separated switchblock.

The question is can the current L2 cores with L3 interfaces at the
distribution switches be succesfully converted to do all the routing at the
core allowing us to load balance across the cores and not have to wait for
L2 convergance if a link fails or a switch goes down (yes I know about
backbone fast)

Will the 12G support 10 routed interfaces and continue to behave itself?

Kevin