[c-nsp] RE: 7206VXR w/ Process Memory Parity Error

Claydon, Tom Tom.Claydon at DobsonTelco.net
Fri Feb 18 11:21:44 EST 2005

Believe it or not, Cisco does say that cosmic rays will cause errors
like this on their equipment. I guess until they start encasing their
equipment in lead that it will continue to be a problem. :)

= TC

-----Original Message-----
From: Claydon, Tom
Sent: Friday, February 18, 2005 10:12 AM
To: 'cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net'
Subject: 7206VXR w/ Process Memory Parity Error

I have a 7206VXR (NPE-300) that has been working fine as a border router
for over two years. It reloaded itself last night, and the logs say that
it was due to a "processor memory parity error". Research on Cisco's
website (and through Google) suggest that if this happens only one time,
it's just a random occurrence. Output Analyzer says that it's a
"software defect", but has no suggestions on how to fix it.

Does anyone here have any experience with this type of error on the
7200-series? Should I write this incident off as a random glitch?

Thanks,

= TC

--
Tom Claydon, IT/ATM Network Engineer