[c-nsp] Pix to Pix tunnel performance w/Windows File Sharing,>

Tony Mucker Tony at tonymucker.com
Fri Feb 18 18:48:13 EST 2005

This looks very promising.  Using pings I was able to determine that the
biggest packet I could pass between the two PIXes was exactly 1272
bytes.  There doesn't seem to be a command for adjusting MSS on the PIX,
so on the routers I put in the command "ip tcp adjust-mss 1200."

In my ethereal packet dumps I'm seeing a lot less re-transmission (but
there's still some).  Gkrellm is reporting decent transfer rates of
100KB/s.  Triple the performance.  Excellent.  Chances are I could tell
my boss that this is it and we'd both be happy.  We'd write it off as a
built in bandwidth cap for the users :)

Question 1:  What's the difference between setting the MTU on the router
interface and setting ip tcp adjust mss?  I've been looking at the Cisco
IOS 12.3 Command reference and the closest command I can see is ip tcp mss.

Questino 2:  What other options do I have to increase performance?  Most
of the documentation I've seen deals with Router to Router tunnels, or
Router to PIX.  It seems that in terms of PIX to PIX there aren't as
many options (for example the ip tcp adjust mss command doesn't exist in
PIX OS).

Thanks again
Tony