[c-nsp] Pix to Pix tunnel performance w/Windows File Sharing

Rob rob at robhunter.net
Sun Feb 20 12:04:36 EST 2005

Hi

> Thanks for the pointers Chuck.  The TFTP session was less than stellar.
> It was even worse than the Windows file sharing, averaging about
> 12KB/sec.  I didn't see any re-transmits during the Windows/SMB file
> transfer either.  I did an SCP transfer, and that flew.  Using SCP I was
> able to max out the T1 bundle.

keep in mind that tftp has a set blockside of 512 bytes, regardless of a 1500
byte mtu, unless the tftp client/server implements the tftp blocksize option
(RFC2348). granted, the rfc dates back to the beginning of 1998, but I'm pretty
sure alot of tftp servers/clients don't have support for this.

TCP would be best to test with. what's terminating the bandwidth infront of
these pix's? if it's cisco routers, tried using the 'ttcp' tool?

also, I've found in the past that the pix won't allow more than a 1200-odd byte
ICMP echo-request through, so if you're going down the MTU road, keep this in
mind.

Regards

--Rob