[c-nsp] MPLS VPNS and access to shared network resource

Jack Parks jackwparks at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 10:57:30 EST 2005

We have used a new class/type of device called a session border
controller.  It usually operates as a back-to-back user agent (BBUA)
and provides topology hiding and NATing for realtime protocols.  A
Cisco PIX has SIP and H323 fix-up which might be all you need to bring
your customers into a common call manager.  Many of today's firewalls
can act as Application Layer Gateways (ALG) but their performance is
lack luster.

I think you need:
1) a common Voice VPN
2) an ALG (or firewall) to perform Topology Hiding and NAT.

We have used PIX for low performance applications and ACME Packet
Net-SD for a large deployment.

Just google for "session border controller"  and you will get some
good reading material.