[c-nsp] Cisco 4948's

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Tue Feb 22 23:05:25 EST 2005

On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 09:48:44PM -0600, Dale W. Carder wrote:

> On Feb 22, 2005, at 9:37 PM, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
> >Why must everyone keep putting out one 48-port 10/100/1000 switch after
> >another, while no one (other than D-Link and such) will put out a dense
> >SFP version of the same thing?
> >
> >Personally I'd like to see this in a 16-port GBIC version too, with the
> >cat4k sup modern enough to do baby jumbos. 3550-12G doesn't cut it,
> >neither does 4912G.
>
> How about the 3750G-16TD?  Although, it is a damn shame that it
> has copper instead of SFP's, which keeps us with the 12G instead
> (metro isp style application).  Are we the only ones that wished
> it had SFP's so you could plug in whatever optics/cu you needed?

Everyone and their mother has 1 2 or 3 different versions of a 24 or 48
port 10/100/1000 switch, some with 10GE uplinks and some without, and some
available for some VERY reasonable prices. Yes there is a perfectly valid
application for these, but they has been done to death. 3750G-16TD is
actually very weak in density and price compared to some Foundry models,
but besides that there is only so much 10/100/1000 w/10GE market out
there.

On the other hand, almost no one has a quality 24 or 48 port SFP switch,
maybe with some 10GE uplinks. For some reason the low-end folks like
D-Link have put them out, but none of the higher end folks (Cisco Foundry
Extreme) have done it. The only reason I can think of, especially in
Cisco's case, is that it would be so popular among metro ethernet
providers it would cut into 15454 market share.