[c-nsp] Cisco 4948's

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Feb 23 13:38:15 EST 2005

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 10:29:18AM -0500, Jon Lewis wrote:
> > On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
> >
> > > Why must everyone keep putting out one 48-port 10/100/1000 switch after
> > > another, while no one (other than D-Link and such) will put out a dense
> > > SFP version of the same thing?
> >
> > D-Link?  What model?  I'd really like to see some small form factor gigE
> > L2 switches that will do decent port density on fiber gigE.
>
> http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=2&pid=339
>
> Scarey ain't it. :)

Don't know why I couldn't find that this morning.  I'd actually like even
more ports...but 24 SFPs beats the heck out of a 10 or 12 port config.

So where is cisco in this niche...or are they worried it would kill too
many 6500 sales?  I don't particularly need the 1U size, but the
DXS-3326GSR is way cheaper than similar number of ports on a 6500.

I'd like something like this to use as core switches for our customer
aggregation (3550-48) switches to uplink to.

Why do they build a 24 port gigE switch with 128Gbps switching capacity?