[c-nsp] Injecting Routes Remotely

Payton, Zack Zack.Payton at MWAA.com
Sat Feb 26 13:27:24 EST 2005

Please disregard my last message as I misinterpretted the question...
Does the RAS support any routing protocol??? Perhaps the cleanest way to
do it might be just to use bgp or rip or whatever your RAS's support to
move /32's around the network however your ras better at least support
ripv2 or else no /32's....

Sorry,
Zachary Bell Payton

-----Original Message-----
From: Payton, Zack
Sent: Saturday, February 26, 2005 10:20 AM
To: 'crist.clark at globalstar.com'; cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
Subject: RE: [c-nsp] Injecting Routes Remotely

Hello all,
I'm pretty new to this list (yesterday).  But I think this should work:
use nat to convert the destination multicast address from the usual
224.0.0.9 to the unicast address of your destination router... And then
back again whenever that router recieves packets that are IP protocol
88.  This will allow your EIGRP packets to traverse the network as far
as you wish... However if this is over a public network, or any
broadcast based network with hosts beside the routers then I would
highly recommend protecting the exchange via some kind of tunnel
(IPSec,L2TP, PPTP whatever...)

I use this technique to sometimes remotely troubleshoot multicast issues
instead of doing debug ip packets....

BTW as a good question for list: is it ever feasible to use 'debug ip
packet' with an access-list to limit the printed packets in a production
environment.... Throughout all books I've ever read they say never use
debug in a production environment but I can see how using this with an
access-list could leverage the router like a packet sniffer and would
enable you to view some traffic in some pretty tough areas of the
network to get to... another thing possible would be selectively briding
traffic to something like a gre interface (is that even possible?) for
remote troubleshooting...
Sorry if this question is a little bit off topic for this list or
thread.

Zachary Bell Payton
It's my birthday!!!!! Feb 26th, 1982
Hi mom I'm on puck!