[c-nsp] Re: FE ignored errors

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Sat Jan 1 19:39:36 EST 2005

Speaking of this again, I really think it's an IOS bug and not a "your
router's out of gas" issue.

Last week we had another router running 12.2S code (12.2(14)S3 on a
7206vxr NPE300) start doing this, only it was several thousand ignores/s
on the IO/FE built-in port.  That port typically did <10mbit/s and was not
doing any unusual mbps or pps at the time.  CPU load on that router is
typically 10-20%.  We tried bouncing the interface, bouncing the switch
port it connected to, replacing the patch cable, actually rebooting that
switch, nothing made a difference.  I wanted to reboot the router, as I
assumed that would clear it up, but that would have been several more
minutes of unacceptable downtime in the middle of the day.

We'd planned for some time to remove the traffic from that router, so we
just moved that up and "replaced it" with a layer 3 3550 switch port.  The
3550 had no issues with being the uplink for the switch we moved off of
the 7206's f0/0.