[c-nsp] BGP Attributes in iBGP

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Mon Jan 3 02:18:53 EST 2005

> Can we use BGP attributes like loca-pref and weight and MED etc for
> doing load-balancing between multiple link to same destination in
> iBGP.

Well, all BGP attributes play a role in iBGP path selection. To use
multiple iBGP paths for load-sharing, you need to enable iBGP multipath.
See http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/459/25.shtml for details.

> IF we use this does it created any extra overhead on the
> router/network ?

There is no packet performance penalty (assuming you use CEF). Since the
router needs to store more data in the FIB (aka CEF table), you will
need more memory to store the FIB.

	oli