[c-nsp] MPLS, L2TPv3 Layer 2/3 VPN Network Options

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Tue Jan 4 22:50:46 EST 2005

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005, chooweikeong at pacific.net.sg wrote:

> I'm looking into providing internet access to MPLS/VPN. Has anyone tried
> to enable internet access on a MPLS/VPN? Any experience to share?
>
> I think the challenge would be how to provide internet access and MPLS/VPN
> over a same physical link, especially when the vpn is running on
> non-unique private IP address.

We do MPLSVPN service, and for VPNs where they want internet access for
the VPN (most of them), we typically have them use a separate CPE and
circuit for the internet connection.  In a few cases, where circuit cost
has been an issue, we'll do frame over PTP T1 and use one PVC for the main
site's VPN connection and another PVC for internet...running NAT on their
CPE.

One thing I've been curious about but haven't had the time/gear to lab is
whether MPLS VPN (vpnv4 BGP/LDP) will play nice with the "confederation
per pop" style of BGP confederations.  We're currently a mix of partially
meshed and multiple route reflectors, and it's getting to be a bit of a
mess to maintain.