[c-nsp] 3550 QoS not working as expected

Tim Devries tdevries at northrock.bm
Thu Jan 6 12:13:52 EST 2005

Hello,

We are currently attempting to do QoS with our 3550 for customers in our
collocation. However, when monitoring the real-time usage of the interface
using our monitoring software, it does not appear to work.  For example we
have a customer limited to 3Mb, but they frequently jump as high as 6Mb.

We are running Version 12.1(22)EA1a.  Relevant portions of the config
follow:

!
Mls qos
!
class-map match-all customerA
  match any
  match input-interface FastEthernet0/1
  match access-group 101
  match access-group 102
!
policy-map customerA
  class customerA
   bandwidth 3000
    police 3000000 8000 exceed-action drop
!
interface FastEthernet0/1
 description CustomerA - 3MB/s
 switchport access vlan 4
 switchport mode access
 switchport protected
 mls qos monitor packets
 flowcontrol send off
 service-policy history
 service-policy output customerA
 no cdp enable
 spanning-tree portfast
!
access-list 101 permit ip host X.X.X.X any
access-list 101 permit ip host X.X.X.X any
access-list 102 permit ip any host X.X.X.X
access-list 102 permit ip any host X.X.X.X

As an aside, Cisco literature mentions 3550's can do rate-limiting, but I
have been unable to find any literature on how, as the usual commands don't
seem to work.  Is there a better way to do what I am trying to do?

Thanks for any help,

Tim