[c-nsp] 7204VXR vs 10008 as a PE device

Djerk Geurts djerk.cisco at easynet.nl
Sun Jan 9 17:33:41 EST 2005

People,

As ISP we're currently using 7204VXR as PE and for our new network 7304 have
been offered and installed.

A shift from RFC1483 to PPPoATM (including MLP) has required us to abandon
the 7304 which will not propperly support PPPoAAA eventhough the IOS
supports it Cisco won't, or as we believe not to our satisfaction.

So we have to choose between a load of trusty 7304VXRs or 10008s. The
question is I'd like to do marking of MPLS EXP bit based on DSCP instead of
the default: IP precedence. One of my colleagues is afraid of his PE devices
due to the possible performance hit of non-default DSCP to MPLS EXP mapping.
Now I've recently picked up some information about MGX8500 being quite good
at QoS, out performing a 7300. So I'm curious if anyone has experience with
either platform and (non default MPLS) QoS and the performance hit to
expect.

Another question is about the processing of non-default QoS mappings. Does
non-default mean that packets are suddenly process switched or can hardware
do DSCP to MPLS as well as it can do standard prec to MPLS EXP? Are there
differences between the various platforms? We actually still have some MGX's
available so if the motivation is right we could use those.

As the price difference between the 7200 and the 10k is substantial I need
solid information to support a choice either way.

Nearly forgot: Both (7200 and 7300) equipped with NPE-G1(00) same card for
both platforms. Plus STM1 line cards. The STM4 for the 10k only comes in a 4
port version which is a bit too expensive as of yet...

TIA,

--
Djerk Geurts, R&D Network Engineer
Easynet Group Netherlands BV, www.easynet.nl