[c-nsp] Catalyst SX GBIC's and SMF

Tristan Gulyas zardoz at hotblack.net
Mon Jan 10 05:15:31 EST 2005

All,

I have seen an installation where mode conditioning cables are used to go
between LX SFP modules with MM fibre.  I have no idea about the reverse (SX
GBICs with SM fibre) although I don't see why this wouldn't be possible.

I have been told that running 1000baseLX with MM fibre + mode conditioning
patch cables gives you "slightly better" range than using native SX, but
there's no solid evidence for this, so I'd stick to the 550 metre spec as
per 1000baseSX to be safe.

With respect to the original problem,  it depends on how the fibre runs
between the cat4000s (whether it's just "across the floor" or whether
there's cable running through a building)  It may be substantially cheaper
to aquire a MM fibre patch cable vs. purchasing LX GBIC/SFP modules.

.t