[c-nsp] Catalyst 3750G + Broadcom NIC issues

Tristan Gulyas zardoz at hotblack.net
Mon Jan 10 05:29:19 EST 2005

Howdy all,

I've run into a little issue of late with Cisco 3750G-24T and -24TS switches
and Broadcom NeXtreme Gigabit controllers supplied onboard the Compaq d530
small form factor systems under Linux.

The issue: machines lose link and the NIC freezes up after a few days of
inactivity.  Reloading the module (which shuts down the controller and
restarts it) seems to help.  I even had an issue the other day where the
switch would not provide link at all unless the port was set to 100mbit and
that didn't last long, either.

Cabling is freshly unpacked Cat5e - I've had no troubles with the same cable
drop on my PowerBook G4.

These problems are not present on the 6500 10/100 or Gigabit-capable blades
we also connect to, nor the 10Mbit HP hubs we have lying around.

I've tried manual and automatic settings but with no avail.  Reloading the
switch doesn't help.

I've seen the same results with 12.2(2)SE3, a beta of 12.2(25)SE and
12.1(19)EA1.

Configuration from the switch ports is as follows:

Linux console simply reports:

tg3: eth0: Link is down.

Card in kernel reports:

eth0: Tigon3 [partno(BCM95782A50) rev 3003 PHY(5705)] (PCI:33MHz:32-bit)
10/100/1000BaseT Ethernet 00:0e:7f:2a:34:43

No changes occur at either end that seem to trigger this.

thanks,

.t

PS. If anyone has used any of the new Fluke network assistant devices with
these switches and has had issues obtaining link for more than 2 seconds,
let me know...