[c-nsp] VLSM

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Tue Jan 11 12:53:07 EST 2005

Hudson Delbert J Contr 61 CS/SCBN wrote:

> i know that the education of network guyz is outdated but some of the thingz
> being stated hear are knee jerk bandwagon jump-on..
>

> since when is a /16 size chunk of addresses not a class 'b' space.

In my book, ever since the beginning, when a class B was defined as a
65,536 address chunk of space with a bit pattern starting with 10 and
the first sixteen bits being significant to the "network" portion of the
address.  Class A starts with 0 and has eight bits significant to the
network, and class C starts with 110 and has 24 bits significant to the
network portion.

When my sales droids and customers ask for a class C, they get told that
we don't have any class C addresses available, but they can have an
appropriate subnet of one of our ARIN allocations when they fill out a
justification form.  We include a blurb about subnetting and slash
notation in our handoff documentation, and make it available to our
sales team on request.

pt