[c-nsp] Problems with 6509 upgrade kit

Chris Roberts croberts at bongle.co.uk
Tue Jan 11 15:35:18 EST 2005

Hey,

Apologies for replying to self, but I thought I'd update on this in case
anyone else gets bitten. I managed to find a Cisco bugID stating something
about the fan tray polarity.

Basically, in the 6509-NEB-UPGRD kit the fan trays are wired incorrectly by
default, with the polarity on the external DC connections to the PSU
reversed.

This is what I got from Cisco:
By default, red cable is inserted into positive (+) terminal of Fan Tray,
black
one into negative (-) terminal. Fan Tray cannot gain power from Power Supply
wit
h this connection.

If the polarity of Fan Tray is reversed, Fan Tray can gain power from Power
Supp
ly and work fine.

By default:

  +--------------+
+----------+
  |              |                  +-----------+                   |

  |             (+)---Red Cable-----|           |---Red Cable------(+)
|
  | Power Supply |                  | Connector |                   | Fan
Tray |
  |             (-)---Black Cable---|           |---Black Cable----(-)

  |              |                  +-----------+                   |

  +--------------+
+----------+
                       External Wire
                 |<---------------------->|

Reverse polarity of Fan Tray:

  +--------------+
+----------+
  |              |                  +-----------+                   |

  |             (+)---Red Cable-----|           |---Black Cable----(+)
|
  | Power Supply |                  | Connector |                   | Fan
Tray |
  |             (-)---Black Cable---|           |---Red Cable------(-)

                       External Wire

Cheers,