[c-nsp] GSR and 3750 GE-LX link problem

Michael Smith mksmith at noanet.net
Tue Jan 11 17:48:56 EST 2005

I *think* there is a difference when configuring the router
intelligence on the switching platforms, but I could be wrong.  :-)
When there is a VLAN interface on the switch and the Gigabit Ethernet
port is set to switchport mode, either trunking or no, the frames are
forwarded across the Gigabit Ethernet port as Ethernet frames and
"terminate" on the VLAN interface.  The VLAN interface then has the
IP address on the same subnet as the ip default-gateway for local
management use.

On the other hand, when the Gigabit Ethernet port is given an IP
address and set to "no switchport" the port forwards the traffic as
encapsulated IP packets, not Ethernet frames.  That's why I wondered
about the "ip routing" process being activated on the device.
Without it, does the switch still forward the packets?  Or, does it
forward them as frames?  Or, is it an incomplete configuration so it
doesn't forward them at all?

I'd love to hear the answer from Cisco on this one just for my own
edification.

Mike