[c-nsp] Deferred packets on 2950 10/full interface

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Sat Jan 15 03:03:30 EST 2005

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005, Niels Bakker wrote:

> This sounds completely crazy.  Can you name vendors whose equipment
> performs according to this atrocity?

On Sun:s 100meg ethernet interfaces you can enable or disable
"capabilities". If you disable the machines capability to choose 10/h,
10/f and 100/h, it'll only do 100/full, but still announce via autoneg
that it does so and thus if the other end runs autoneg, it'll autoneg to
100/f.

Working at an ISP, I would LOVE for cisco to implement this (I have a
feature request in for this as of a year ago), because it would save us a
ton of operational problems with customers that force 100/full when we
have autoneg, and the other way around. I see no reason to stop
negotiating/announcing what you're set to, just because it's set to a
specific value?

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se