[c-nsp] autonegotiating hub was: Deferred packets on 295010/full interface

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Sat Jan 15 11:31:19 EST 2005

Your correct, I meant switch.  Specifically in this case the 3com
Switch 3300.

I will note one thing however.  Year ago, gasoline was sold as
"Regular" and "Regular Unleaded"  Then, leaded gasoline was
made illegal.  Today, gasoline is sold as "Regular" or "Premium"
I have to ask, do you still ask for Regular Unleaded when you
pull up to the pump?  Do you still criticize people for not
asking for "Regular Unleaded" instead of "Regular" when they
buy gas?  It must really grate on you every time you pull into
a gas station, eh? ;-)

Have you looked at the shelves of your local computer store
recently?  Very few real honest-to-God hubs remain, in many places
it's only switches.  In another 5 years the half-duplex standard
10BaseT and 100BaseT hub will be extinct - not even available
by special order.  At that time, people will use the term hub
for switches, and I predict the term switch will start to fall
out of general usage, same as "regular unleaded" gas did.

It is a testiment to this already happening that most people
here knew what I meant, even with the incorrect term used.  It
won't be much longer before the incorrect term will become
the correct term.  I hope you can survive this. ;-)

Ted