[c-nsp] Cisco 7304 as a Border router

Majid Farid MajidFarid at TelecomOttawa.com
Sun Jan 16 02:23:53 EST 2005

Test was done earlier last years. The routers were able to do more than
that for sure. The IXIA packet generator we have at that time only had
1Gig Ethernet card so we were only able to do 1gig test however if my
memory serves me right we did saw packet lost at 800mbps and above with
64bytes only.

How is S6 coming out for you? I have tons of problem with ARP and BGP
version not remaining same running S4. The latest one out is S8 I think.

--
Majid

-----Original Message-----
From: Mikael Abrahamsson [mailto:swmike at swm.pp.se]
Sent: Saturday, January 15, 2005 5:28 AM
To: Majid Farid
Cc: McCallum, Robert; Robert Blayzor; cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
Subject: RE: [c-nsp] Cisco 7304 as a Border router

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005, Majid Farid wrote:

> I am running 4 7304's with NSE-100. They are good routers the only
issue
> we have encountered so far is IOS train is still pretty buggy. We have
> done upgrades twice last year due to different bug and another one is
> due now. The bandwidth test we did using IXIA we did were not bad. If

We have also had quite a lot of problems with the NSE-100 and have gone
through more software versions than you have... We're currently at
12.2.20S6 which seems to work well.

> remember correctly we stared to see 4% packet lost at around 800mbps
> witn 64 bytes packet size. Also I have no issues running BGP full
routes
> on them.

Could you please describe more in depth how this test was done? The
information I have is that the NSE-100 should be able to do 3.5Mpps
non-blocking which should be more than you're seeing...

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se