[c-nsp] Deferred packets on 2950 10/full interface

Reuben Farrelly reuben-cisco-nsp at reub.net
Sun Jan 16 05:35:24 EST 2005

Hi Mikael,

At 09:03 p.m. 15/01/2005, you wrote:
>On Sat, 15 Jan 2005, Niels Bakker wrote:
>
> > This sounds completely crazy.  Can you name vendors whose equipment
> > performs according to this atrocity?
>
>On Sun:s 100meg ethernet interfaces you can enable or disable
>"capabilities". If you disable the machines capability to choose 10/h,
>10/f and 100/h, it'll only do 100/full, but still announce via autoneg
>that it does so and thus if the other end runs autoneg, it'll autoneg to
>100/f.
>
>Working at an ISP, I would LOVE for cisco to implement this (I have a
>feature request in for this as of a year ago), because it would save us a
>ton of operational problems with customers that force 100/full when we
>have autoneg, and the other way around. I see no reason to stop
>negotiating/announcing what you're set to, just because it's set to a
>specific value?

Already implemented, on the 4500 platform in
<http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/switches/ps4324/products_configuration_guide_book09186a008027d1e6.html>12.2(20)EWA
.

 From
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/switches/ps4324/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00802c30f6.html#wp1047376:

Setting the Interface Speed

If you set the interface speed to auto on a 10/100-Mbps Ethernet interface,
speed and duplex are autonegotiated. The forced 10/100 autonegotiation
feature allows you to limit interface speed auto negotiation up to 100 Mbps
on a 10/100/1000BASE-T port.

etc

Also on the 3750:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/switches/ps5023/prod_bulletin0900aecd80122f85.html

I expect that in time it will appear on nearly all current switching
platforms...

Reuben