[c-nsp] Re: ospf design question

Frotzler, Florian Florian.Frotzler at one.at
Tue Jan 18 03:37:46 EST 2005

Like Gert already mentioned, keep it simple.

Regarding B): best choice, do it.

Regarding C):

If you strictly use only one area in your network design then it has not to be area 0. You can choose whatever number fits for you. The problem is, as soon as your network design changes and you need more than one area, it does not work without area 0 any more. Therefore it's recommended by cisco and others to use area 0 from the beginning. Otherwise it does not scale. Also don't forget that area 0 is the backbone area that connects all other areas, and therefore has a special meaning within the ospf protocol specification.

Florian