[c-nsp] Re: Interfacing between VRF and global across interface in one router

David Barak thegameiam at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 18 11:41:47 EST 2005

--- Joe Maimon <jmaimon at ttec.com> wrote:

> David Barak wrote:
>
> >--- Joe Maimon <jmaimon at ttec.com> wrote:
> >

> >>Hello Rodney,
> >>
> >>At first cut, I am trying to effect a seperation
> >>between the interfaces
> >>which need (overload)natting done and the ones
> that
> >>dont. Exactly what
> >>that will buy me in terms of nat problems,
> >>performance or logical
> >>correctness I am not quite certain yet.
> >>
> >>As is currently, If it turn nat on for some
> >>interfaces on the router, I
> >>have to turn it on for all so that others dont see
> >>rfc1918 that they
> >>would not be expecting. Such is only proper.
> >>
> >>Why nat? Well some customers like to link up a few
> >>of their sites with
> >>the cheapest CPE possible which supports the
> >>simplest network possible.
> >>

> >A Linksys router is $40, and it runs NAT.  I can't
> >really imagine that that's a serious cost barrier
> for
> >CPE.
> >

> In these case the customers do not want to run nat
> because they want to
> have multiple sites communicate with eachother with
> no fuss or muss, on
> their private IP space, be firewalled from everyone
> else and have
> internet access as well.

Do you see the irony of "be firewalled from everyone
else" and "have Internet access as well" in the same
product?

> You will say, have the customer do ipsec......maybe
> for new ones.
> Marketing likes to sell this as a product. IOW
> managed wan/internet
> services.

Not necessarily IPSec, although that's a good idea if
they're serious about security.  Rather, I would still
say that NAT belongs on CPE, not on a provider device.

How about this:

build the customers a 2547bis network, and make one of
the spokes the inside address of the firewall segment?

=====
David Barak
Need Geek Rock?  Try The Franchise:
http://www.listentothefranchise.com