[c-nsp] Re: DS3 framing: M13 vs. C-bit

ringwyrm27 ringwyrm27 at comcast.net
Tue Jan 18 15:06:59 EST 2005

C-Bit has a channel in overhead called the MDL (maintenance data link) that
allows for the passing of FEAC codes like the FDL does on a T1.  It also
allows for the passing of G.832 type messages (error counts and so on).

C-bit/MDL allows telco to perform remote testing on the DS-3 by logging into
a mux and just shooting the loop up/down codes down the MDL.  I don't
believe that M13 allows for this.