[c-nsp] GigE media converters (LX(fibre single mode)<->TX(copper)

Ariel Biener ariel at post.tau.ac.il
Thu Jan 20 16:38:16 EST 2005

  Hello folks,

     I am looking for quality GigE media converters (LX fibre single to TX
copper). The purpose of it is to connect GigE links on LX single mode fibre
to TX port switches (Cisco 3750 series). I've checked and asked around our
Cisco gold partner around here, but I wasn't satisfied with the answers. The
requirements are as follows:

1). High quality converters, reliable, and durable.
2). Ability to rack mount them (one possibility would be that the manufacturer
has a rackmount device which can accomodate a few of them in an orderly
fashion, preferably receiving power from the backplane of the rackmount
device itself - and if that rackmount device supports two power sources,
that's even better).
3). The ability to reliably perform the conversion at line rate, and proven
compatibility with 3750 Cisco switches (duplex issues come to mind,
negotiation, etc).

     Does any of you have experience with such devices ?  If so, could you
pass on to me manufacturer names (or web sites), and any other pertinent
information (off list is also an option, if this is deemed to be off-topic).
Also, some information on estimate price for such devices would also be very
useful.

thanks,

--Ariel
--