[c-nsp] tag-switching on the 6500?

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Thu Jan 20 16:41:31 EST 2005

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 lists at hojmark.org wrote:

> > While trying to turn up a 6509 (sup2/msfc2/pfc2) running
> > 12.2(18)SXD3, I've found that while TDP appears to work, our
> > 7500s fail to switch some packets tagged by the 6509.
>
> MPLS is only supported on the Sup2 when using OSMs. It's not supported for
> LAN interfaces with the Sup2.
>
> With Sup720-3B and 3BXL, the LAN interfaces are supported also.

I'm not necessarily trying to terminate any MPLS VPNs on the 6500...just
get it to do tag-switching so that ideally it could be a P router in our
network core.  Is even that not happening with Sup2 without OSMs?  I
wanted 3BXL's, but the $ just wasn't there.

Their intended initial use was just transit gateway, so it's not vital,
but I figured I'd give tag-switching a shot before putting them in
service.