[c-nsp] ARP Timeout - IP address takeover

nick.nauwelaerts at thomson.com nick.nauwelaerts at thomson.com
Fri Jan 21 05:03:31 EST 2005

Not really an answer, but we are currently using 2 different cluster
mechanisms:

1) hot failover clusters with virtual mac addresses. When one of the
nodes fails the other takes over it's IP and it's MAC addresses. Easy on
routers because the MAC address doesn't change, and a CAM update on the
switches is near instantanious as well.
2) cold failover with virtual IPs but real MAC addresses. Here we just
make sure that when one of the machines takes over we send out a few
arpings to the router to force the MAC update. This is on various
unixes, I don't know how one can do this under windows.

// nick