[c-nsp] ARP Timeout - IP address takeover

Edward B. Dreger eddy+public+spam at noc.everquick.net
Sat Jan 22 01:57:27 EST 2005

PS> Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 04:46:40 -0500
PS> From: Paul Stewart <pauls at nexicom.net>

PS> Our mail administrator is implementing a small mail cluster solution
PS> that involves  using IP takeover techniques in case of failure.  So, at
PS> one moment an IP could belong to one MAC address but if a box fails that
PS> IP could showup with a different MAC within seconds....

Some of us use BGP, advertise a /32 internally, and crank down the
timers.  i.e., consider failing over at a higher level.  Also consider
lower-level failover with MAC address takeover methods such as HSRP and
VRRP.

Not advocating any particular method for your situation... just tossing
out some general suggestions to consider.

Eddy
--
Everquick Internet - http://www.everquick.net/
A division of Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - http://www.brotsman.com/