[c-nsp] GigE media converters (LX(fibre single mode)<->TX(copper)

Rene Avi c-nsp at nextlayer.at
Sat Jan 22 18:55:33 EST 2005

Hi Ariel,

> 1). High quality converters, reliable, and durable.
> 2). Ability to rack mount them (one possibility would be that the manufacturer
> has a rackmount device which can accomodate a few of them in an orderly
> fashion, preferably receiving power from the backplane of the rackmount
> device itself - and if that rackmount device supports two power sources,
> that's even better).
> 3). The ability to reliably perform the conversion at line rate, and proven
> compatibility with 3750 Cisco switches (duplex issues come to mind,
> negotiation, etc).

I'd consider the link loss carry forward and link loss return feature
essential for those applications unless you are satisfied with UDLD.

In case one part of the path (e.g. the fiber) is unplugged or disrupted
you get an immediate link loss signaled to the terminating 3750 TX-port
which helps a great deal with convergence and debugging times (there is
a nice intro at http://www.metrobility.com/support/LLCF.php with
http://www.metrobility.com/support/LLR.php for link-loss-return).

>      Does any of you have experience with such devices ?  If so, could you
> pass on to me manufacturer names (or web sites), and any other pertinent
> information (off list is also an option, if this is deemed to be off-topic).
> Also, some information on estimate price for such devices would also be very
> useful.

Beside the ones already mentioned you might want to take a look at
http://www.metrobility.com and
http://www.transition.com

Contact me off list for experience reports with those kinda boxes.

Cheers,
/Rene

--
  / Rene Avi <Rene.Avi(at)nextlayer.at> | Ph#: +43 650 7363284 Fax#: -2 \
  \ Networking: Cisco, Juniper, RIPE    | Bendlgasse 17/11, A-1120 Wien /