[c-nsp] 3750/3550 SMI vs EMI

Łukasz Bromirski lbromirski at mr0vka.eu.org
Sun Jan 23 04:34:07 EST 2005

Hakan Lindholm wrote:

>> EI, apart from software enhancements, offers SSH support (aka `crypto').
>> SI images don't have SSH.
> How come I found this in some release notes?
> 12.1(22)EA2, November 2004
> On Catalyst 2950 switches running the SI, support for DHCP snooping and
> SSHv2.

You're referring to that?:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/prod_release_note09186a008034b29d.html#wp638417

Well, it seems someone thought a little and put SSH where it should
be. I've seen annoucements on public presentations that SSH won't
be in SI switches, because of hardware issues with simpler ASICs.
But that's great, SSH should be supported everywhere.

That's the way to go, but apart from that, SI are different from EI
and there's no upgrade path. You can read that in Q&A's here:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_qanda_item09186a008009258e.shtml

Quote:
  "Q. What is the difference between the Cisco Catalyst 2950 SI and EI
      versions?
   A. The Cisco Catalyst 2950 Series includes two software image versions
      that support different degrees of functionality-the SI and the EI.
      The version of software depends solely on the model of switch
      selected, with no upgrade capabilities."

I've tried making different things with 2950-24 and 2950G/2950T-24,
and trust me - SI switch won't run EI.

On the 3550/3560/3750 it's no big deal - You just load EMI software to
SMI switch and it'll reboot with enhanced functionality.

--
this space was intentionally left blank    |            Łukasz Bromirski
you can insert your favourite quote here   |        lukasz:bromirski,net