[c-nsp] Cisco Certifications

Stephen J. Wilcox steve at telecomplete.co.uk
Sun Jan 23 10:45:57 EST 2005

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005, Tristan Gulyas wrote:

> A CCNA doesn't seem cheap, that is, unless I just sit the exams and do some
> sort of self study thing, but without constant access to the hardware, it
> might be a bit harder for me to get a more practical idea of some of the
> technologies covered in the CCNA (and of course, CCNP) course (I've never
> touched a serial interface, for example, despite having knowledge about them).

definitely just do the exam for CCNA, see how it feels.. when i did
ccna/ccnp/ccie and particularly the ccie there was a lot of technologies i'd not
ever used, some hw and some sw but the books i read were enough to answer the
questions...

> I'd personally see more value in purchasing second hand gear and using that to
> work with, given that some 2500 series routers can be had for pocket change on
> ebay these days.

if you want a cisco qualification and have never touched one and have little
hands on experience with networks in general this is a good idea

> I've covered a lot of the background theory as part of my degree already (for
> the second and third time, mind you.. it gets a bit boring after a while...).
> Recruiters seem to ask for certifications and sometimes don't ask for a
> degree.
>
> Am I wasting my time? Should I bail and concentrate on certs?

someone else already replied to this, a degree is a lot more valuable than just
applying the subject to your job application, some time in the future when all
this stuff is old you'll see be a degree level candidate when providing your
resume.

Steve