[c-nsp] 6500/7600 with Sup720 opinion

Mohacsi Janos mohacsi at niif.hu
Mon Jan 24 03:37:33 EST 2005

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005, Jon Lewis wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005, Ryan O'Connell wrote:
>
>> I thought the 7600 MPLS functionality was severely limited - could only
>> act as a core, not edge device or similar? (I forget the details)
>>
>> (We're deploying 7600s next month, MPLS won't be needed immediately but
>> we'll need it in around 6 months time - was planning to use 7200s at the
>> edge)
>
> AFAIK, it depends on the supervisor.  AFAIK 3B and 3BXL give you full MPLS
> VPN P/PE functionality (more VRFs/routes per VRF on the 3BXL).  Original
> Sup720 does not.  Sup2 doesn't either.

To clarify the situation:

Sup720 (3a) does support basic MPLS functionality (backbone MPLS and L3
MPLS VPN), but some internal HW bug can cause problems especially if you
use with IPv6. This cannot be resolved therefore if you need MPLS you MUST
use Sup720-3b or sup720-3bxl. Officially Cisco support MPLS only on
Sup270-3b(xl) on sup720 type platforms. One problematical point is L2 MPLS
VPN, which is supported only with OSM modules. For the Sup2 platform you
must have OSM modules for MPLS funtionality, since MPLS is implemented on
OSM interface cards on Sup2 platform.

We are using 8 C6500 with Sup720-b (some bxl) without much problem for
peering routers for IPv4 uni/multicast and IPv6 unicast (12.2(18)SXD3).
The IOS has some very nusty bug that can crash the whole router.... We are
using L3 MPLS VPNs rather widely.

PPS is rather acceptable we use some places DFC-3 modules. We use only
rate-limiting of QoS functions whihc works well.  Hardware based uRPF
works too.

We also use Netflow, and that works well

Best Regards,

Janos Mohacsi
Network Engineer, Research Associate
NIIF/HUNGARNET, HUNGARY
Key 00F9AF98: 8645 1312 D249 471B DBAE  21A2 9F52 0D1F 00F9 AF98