[c-nsp] MTU Question on T1

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Mon Jan 24 20:28:02 EST 2005

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, Richard J. Sears wrote:

> Hi Bill -
>
> I am sure that they are messing it up, but they have not identified that
> error as of yet, even with me explaining it to them.
>
> All they say if to do a 40000 byte packet ping from a windows box to
> another windows box across the T1 and until that comes back below 50ms,
> don't bother them!!

In that case, until you can replenish the dilithium crystals, don't
bother them.  I've found the "40000 car freight train engine to caboose"
analogy sometimes penetrates thicker skulls when trying to explain
serialization delay.

And I still get transit provider telemarketers who don't understand
propagation delay promising 40 ms RTT California to Europe.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Administration - jay at west.net
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323      WB6RDV
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  -  http://www.netlojix.com/