[c-nsp] 5500 Sup3

Sean Granger sgranger at randfinancial.com
Tue Jan 25 15:55:38 EST 2005

I loaded CatOS 6.4.13 on a Sup III (E3) without verifying she had 64MB RAM.

After the reload, the module comes up red disabled and the standby Sup (Module 1) takes charge ... apparently not having synched the OS (thank god).
Now, I can't get the other module to come back.

The current active standby module (running 5.5.20) isn't synching to it, says its STILL synchronizing when I attempt to force the switch and doesn't show Module 2 as being populated, yet when I see what a reset 2 does, the OS certainly sees it, prompting me correctly, "It is standby supervisor module. Reset disabled."

I'm not even getting any response out of the console when I reload to see if any helpful messages are coming out of it, but now the module is practically dead.

Anyone see behavior like this before out of these?
How can I restore this module if I cant even get into ROMMON??
Will putting in the extra 32MB of required RAM allow it to boot???

Any suggestions welcomed, Thanks!