[c-nsp] 6500/7600 10GB XENPAK modules shortage

Thomas Kernen thomas at ip-man.net
Wed Jan 26 08:51:20 EST 2005

Yet another 6500/7600 related question ;-)

For those of you who have deployed the 4 port 10 GB blade
(WS-X6704-10GE), have you been able to get hold of XENPAK SMF modules
(XENPAK-10GB-LR)? We have an order placed since end of October for these
modules and current manufacturing according to Cisco is planned for mid
march.

I also considered CX4 (copper version) for lab testing but these have
also been announced since last summer but appear to be postponed also
due to manufacturing issues.

No idea if it's a shortage from Cisco's suppliers, a QA issue but it
does impact evaluating and deploying 10GB in our lab/network.

Which brings me to the obvious question, has anyone tried 3rd party
XENPAK modules in the 10GB blade?

TIA
Thomas

PS: Ian & Tim, feel free to comment ;-)