[c-nsp] Cisco OSS Inspect EOL?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri Jan 28 13:23:26 EST 2005

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 10:25:47AM +0000, RS STG wrote:
> My Cisco support guy told me the other day that they are turning the OSS
> Inspection, which is the prerequisite for purchasing support options for
> 2nd hand kits, End Of Life, meaning all not inspected 2nd hand equipment
> couldn't be with any Cisco support options

Sounds like a clever move to cut the revenue stream that pays for Rodney
and other good engineers.  Or what?

IOS updates can be bought without support contracts, and for the price
difference you can spend a fair amount of scratching your head about
bugs (and then open a TAC case on another router that can reproduce the
issue).

Cisco marketing folks are *stupid*.  "Piss off your customer base" is
not a good way to increase revenue.

gert,
   still angered about the decision to delay IPv6 rollout long enough
   so that Cat5k RSM and RSFC are already "end of development" - it's
   not like IPv6 was promised for 12.1 or so...
   (Not to mention that the *faster* of the two, the RSFC, does not
   have 64 bit SNMP counters, because there's no 12.2 for it - again
   a very customer friendly marketing decision).
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de