[c-nsp] multicast on layer 2

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri Jul 1 07:33:16 EDT 2005

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 10:54:46AM +0200, Tantsura, Jeff wrote:
> What I actually meant is that sources register (but not in the way receivers
> do) on the first-hop router and first-hop router then sends Register to RP.

And exactly this is what sources do *not* do.  Sources do not "register"
anywhere.  Sources do not need to know about routers, first-hops or others.

Sources just send packets out of their local multicast LAN interface.

*All* the rest (registering, forwarding, pruning, ...) is done by
the routers.

gert
--
Gert Doering