[c-nsp] Does 6500 10 GigE currently support WAN-PHY?

Simon Leinen simon at limmat.switch.ch
Fri Jul 1 17:31:51 EDT 2005

Tantsura, Jeff writes:
> As far as I know the only 10 Gb wan phy supported by cisco is on ONS
> platform.
> BUT :) I've seen some tests which clearly say that 10 Gb wan phy was
> used.

> From terena project:
> Network equipment: 2 CISCO 7600 routers with 10 GE interface cards
> (two 10 GE cards with one color transmission 10 Gbit/s and two 10 GE
> cards with four color transmission 2.5 Gbit/s, LANPHY version
> preferred for Praha - Plzen, WAN-PHY version preferred for Praha -
> Frankfurt)

> I'd like cisco people to comment.

Maybe the official position is that if you have a carrier-grade
OC-192c/STM-64c transport infrastructure, then you should also buy
carrier-grade routers such as the CRS-1... just kidding, I'd expect
them to come out with WAN PHY (XENPAK) support on the OSR - no idea
when though.

> P.S. Juniper is coming with 10G wan/lan phy interface

P.P.S. The Foundry NetIron XMR (coming out in September) will support
software switching between LAN and WAN PHY for its XFP-based 10GE
ports:

http://www.foundrynet.com/about/newsevents/releases/pr6_07_05.html
--
Simon.