[c-nsp] disable console port

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Fri Jul 1 23:35:53 EDT 2005

On Sat, Jul 02, 2005 at 05:16:01AM +0200, Gert Doering wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 08:14:28PM -0400, Jim McBurnett wrote:
> > Well, The 2500's had SIMM style flash..
> > 1600's had flash PCMCIA cards
> > 800 and 1700 have mini flash
> > 2600 have simms I think
> > 3600s have soldering in and cards
> > 18xx,28xx,38xx all have cards
>
> We're NOT talking about Flash.  NVRAM is what this is about.

	Exactly.

	And cisco has no good consistent way to manage
configs larger than the NVRAM size.  There is 'service compress-config',
but when you type (wr mem) commands to save the config that
they'll teach those people who think CCxx certifications are good,
none of them will work with that.

	Augmented configuration managment infrastrucutre
is key for any large/wide scale deployment of routers, this is
why at my employer we do not type 'write mem' or 'copy run start'
type commands, we generate our own configs via automated methods
out of a database.  This allows us to avoid "config drift"(tm)
which happens as a result of hacks and hacks slowly ending up
on a router, it's either in the system or when a reload/crash
happens it's gone.

	- jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net